Okay, here we are after the first phase of the surgery. Allie did fine during surgery and is in stable condition. Allie is still in the OR as they monitor her. As you know from previous posts she has tight arteries (and small as we found out yesterday). The tight arteries are a concern of the doctors because now that the heart is repaired, the question arises if the blood can flow properly through these restricted arteries. Will the pressure of the arteries reduce properly to allow the flow? As with any surgery, we must now wait and see. This tightening of the arteries is not as common as the repairing of the VSD. There is a possibility that if the pressure doesn't reduce properly they will leave the incision open tonight. This will be a short procedure tomorrow to close it.
We have not spoken to the surgeon yet, but are anxiously awaiting the condition of the arteries. As with any surgery, we must now see how Allie tolerates the repair. Please keep Allie, the surgeons as well as us in your prayers. We will continue to update this blog as time permits.