Sunday, May 19, 2013

5 years and 5 months - time for an update on the Amazing Allie!

I'm not sure where the past 5 years and 5 months have gone, but I now know I can "see time".  Before Allie, time passed... my nieces and nephews grew up and I saw pictures of them as they changed. I thought that was bad enough since they all grew up so fast. But, then fast forward to when my daughter was born and now it is like I see time in a whole different way.  I took this picture yesterday and while I think it is so darn cute, I can't help but notice her lanky leg... it is long! where is the baby leg? I swear it was there just... let's see a day ago? No.. I guess it was a year ago... two?  oh my... see what I mean?

I see Allie's changes often. I know sometimes as parents we are too close to see the changes, but I really do think I notice them more than others might. I'm always looking.... ready to squash her back into a tiny baby outfit to keep her small. Seriously, I am constantly amazed at her growth and development, but still - it catches me off guard to see it in a picture. 

This reminds me of when she was 3 months old, we took her to get her portraits made. When we looked at the pictures, it was then that I saw what others saw - my daughter had Down syndrome.  I couldn't see it in those early months - or really even now for that matter. I didn't see "almond shaped eyes". I didn't notice what some people saw, but then those pictures were taken and I remember thinking... "when did she get Down syndrome?"  Now, I see the pictures and I think "when did she start looking so grown up? I just got used to admitting I have a toddler and well, she isn't a toddler anymore. I have a child.  A pre-schooler.. a [gulp] soon to be Kindergartner!  Life moves fast when you have a child and you have to learn to hold on and go along for the ride. It's a bumpy and fast and exhilarating ride.  I wish I could slow it down a little bit.

But, since I can't, I'll try to let you know what she is doing. Because by the time I get around to posting again she will be writing in full sentences. :-) 

My nurses and I.


Allie has become a very compassionate little girl. I've been home for about a month recovering from surgery.  The day I came home from the hospital, my sister, Maureen, and I came up with a great way to let Allie know that I couldn't pick her up for a while as I recovered.  We came up with the game plan and I went to rest while Aunt Maureen greeted Allie and worked the "recovery lesson". That day, Aunt Maureen and Allie became my "Nurses". We all had stickers to help remind us of our roles, since I looked (according to Maureen) not sick at all.  I got to wear the "Patient- Red Cross" sticker and Allie and Maureen and Tim were the "Nurses".  Maureen used a doll to help Allie understand that Mommy's tummy was "broken" and "hurt" and while I got better she was going to help take care of me. Allie took to it wonderfully and still does. I'll never forget when she brought me a blanket.  She clearly went into the restroom as I got a Bath Towel instead of a blanket, but she put it on me so nicely it worked fine.  I still can't pick her up like I used to and when I remind her, she tells me "tummy hurt" and kisses my tummy.  Today I had a headache and my head got so many sweet kisses it was forced to get well.  She is very sweet and loving little girl. She is also very smart and despite all my worries, took to the fact that life was going to be different for a while very well.

Granny and Allie at Pre-school
Even though I wouldn't recommend surgery to get some time off of work, I have to admit I've enjoyed some time away from the hustle and bustle of my life. The first couple weeks were spent resting a whole lot, but after that I've been able to move around more and more and even as of last week got out quite a bit.  While Maureen was in town she and Allie had some fun times together. Maureen even taught Allie to hopscotch!! My Mom - Allie's Granny - also came to town and the two of them had a lot of fun together.  It is sad that my family lives so far away. Allie really enjoys them and they enjoy her.  Paw Paw and Max also came to visit when it was time for Granny to go home. Allie had so much fun having family here!

So, what is Allie doing?  She is always moving. No, really... ALWAYS moving. She wakes up and is ready to go. Asking for a movie, or a game or to eat. She is persistent and optimistic. I've lost count of how many mornings in a row she has asked for "chips" for breakfast. She tries with a smile, she tries with a hug, with a whisper, with a cute tilt of her head. She tries. Determined. Optimistic. We finally put a list on the refrigerator of "Breakfast Choices" and "Snack Ideas" to help her know what she could choose and she still will - in her sly sweet way - point to "chips" and try to get them served first.  It is hard to say no to her, she is very cute and her "thank you, Mommy" is adorable to hear. And if you think that makes it hard just wait until you hear "I love you, Mommy".  Which leads me to ...

SPOILED.. yep. I've always said, "of course she will be spoiled. She is way too cute, way too tiny and way to sweet not to get spoiled." Living as an only child in the house she will definitely get spoiled. I still believe I will stop when we get to "Spoiled Brat", but I just don't see that happening. She doesn't seem to know she is spoiled  yet, so maybe we are doing it right. We spoil this kid with lots of love and she spoils us right back. So, we are even I think.

We are in Kindergarten-prep full swing these days and I must say it is going well, but I'll leave that for another post. 

Have a wonderful week!
Sandy


No comments: